When a snowstorm is headed your way, it’s important to take the necessary precautions to protect your HVAC unit. A sudden drop in temperature can cause damage to your system, so it’s crucial to take the time to prepare for winter weather. Here are some tips from RiverView Mechanical HVAC on how to best protect your HVAC unit during a snowstorm.
- Inspect your HVAC unit before the storm. Check for any cracks or damage that could let in cold air or moisture. If you see any damage, call a professional to make repairs before the snowstorm hits.
- Cover your HVAC unit. This will help protect it from snow and ice buildup. Use a tarp or heavy-duty plastic sheeting to cover the unit, and secure it with bungee cords or rope.
- Keep your HVAC unit clean. During the winter months, your unit will be working overtime. To prevent it from overworking, make sure to keep the coils and filters clean. This will help your unit run more efficiently and prevent it from breaking down.
- Check your HVAC unit’s thermostat. The colder it gets outside, the higher you’ll need to set your thermostat to keep your home warm. However, you don’t want to set it too high, as this can cause your unit to overwork and break down.
- Keep your HVAC unit’s area clear. Snow and ice can build up around your unit, making it difficult to function properly. Be sure to clear away any snow or ice that has accumulated.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your HVAC unit is protected from the winter weather. For more information on HVAC maintenance, do not hesitate to talk to the experts at your trusted local HVAC company. They will be able to help you keep your unit in top condition all winter long. Before it’s too late, get your HVAC unit ready for the snowstorm!